Saturday, September 1, 2012

Dirty Dancing at Hollywood Forever

Saturday night looks to be a fascinating adventure. I am getting together with a few friends from my old 9 to 5 for a public viewing of "Dirty Dancing", presented by Cinespia at Hollywood Forever. For those of you who may not know, Hollywood Forever is a cemetery like no other in the world.  Many famous Hollywood legends have this spot as their final resting place. Rudolph Valentino, Cecil B. DeMille, and many others of the golden age of Hollywood can be found there, so to speak.

Strangely enough, the cemetery also host a variety of cultural events which helps them to keep this landmark in operation. I went there some time ago to watch a play performed on the grounds on the Day of the Dead. I only vaguely remember the experience but I do recall purchasing a paper mache skull to commemorate the Day of the Dead celebration. It's not like we are partying between gravestones or anything. They have designated areas for events. However, no matter how you slice it it is a cemetery.

My friend Briel, who is the social butterfly of my former work comrades is always coming up with fun ideas for us to get together and keep connected even when many have moved on to other professional pursuits.
She is great!  Aside from being an amazingly talented amateur photographer, she knows the LA social scene better than anyone I have met here. I probably would have never thought of this but I say what the heck! As the environment reminds us all you only live once!:)

I will be interested to see if any old childhood superstitions rise up in me.  I get a little creeped out cemeteries. The thought of looking at an actual gravestone freaks me out a bit. We shall see. I heard once that if you read the name off a gravestone of someone you don't know, their spirit might come visit you. I know, logically it makes no sense but I avoid looking just in case.

Regardless, I am going to spend time with friends I don't get to see often. All the rest of the goings on Saturday night is just "gravy."   







NYDKEDP8AE54

No comments:

Post a Comment