Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Best Decision of My Life...

The one thing that unites us all is our ability to dream. Not just the adventures we escape to at night, but those powerful visions of how we want our lives to be.

For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to be an actor. As a teen, when I could not escape the neighborhood bullies who seemed to enjoy making my life hell, I found solace in the world of film and television. So many adventures...so many stories... so many characters to enliven my imagination and allow me for a little while to escape. I knew in time that I wanted to be a part of that world. Becoming an actor is the only thing that has ever made sense to me.

College gave me the opportunity to start my life's journey. Graduate school made my dream seem actually possible. Hollywood, however, was more than I bargained for. I soon realized that you never really escape your demons until you deal with them. The rejection after rejection was something you definitely have to plan for. I didn't. All the insecurities my teenaged bullies discovered came to the surface. I gave up. I found myself a 9 to 5 job and I imagined I could be happy and somehow find a new dream.  That never seemed to happen. Truth be told I did find professional success in that old 9 to 5 but one day I got offered a major promotion with a healthy salary. I thought about it and realized I was not happy. I was surviving but I was not living. It was in that moment that I realized I was going to either live in regret or I was going to listen to my heart...follow my dreams once more... and return to acting.

That was the best decision of my life.

Now a few years have passed and I am slaying those demons that made it so easy to give up on what matters to me the most. It hasn't been a cake walk but when you make a decision to step up and live the life you actually want for yourself, the Universe opens doors to help you.

Yes, I do have a friend or two who firmly believe you have to make it by 28 or 29 if you want to actually have an acting career. I simply refuse to accept that as fact. I am going to keep my dreams alive no matter what, and I will keep on dreaming til I can't dream anymore.

I am a firm believer in the concept that your thoughts create your reality. As I focus on what I want and let go of what I don't, I know ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!

This blog will be my means of keeping myself on track and if anyone other than myself gets something from my words, that is just a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment