Friday, August 31, 2012

Studying My Craft: Reading "The Intent To Live" by Acting Coach Larry Moss

I am getting my professional house in order. Addressing my fitness and dietary goals are a start. Now I need to address my continual creative education.

I went to college and a conservatory for acting but an actor's training never truly ends. I have bought a bookshelf full of acting technique books. I think it is about time I start reading them.

I enjoy taking regular trips to the Iliad Bookshop on Chandler Blvd. It is a fantastic resource for all things related to cinema, theater, acting, you name it. It's a used bookstore with such a variety of literary, spiritual, culinary and musical books I spend hours just browsing. And did I say it? It is a used bookstore to boot!

Nevertheless, at this point in my life I am realizing that I can talk the talk but I need to walk the walk and put into action all the big dreams I have for myself. I can buy a room full of acting books but they are of little value if I don't read them and play with the ideas they may offer me in the continual improvement of my craft.
As I take a hard look at myself, I know I have spent a lot of time talking about improving my craft, but to actually do that, it requires a disciplined approach.

That seems to be the theme of the day.

Commitment, self-discipline and consistency are the words I must acknowledge have been sorely missing from my life. Today must be the beginning of a new way of doing things. If not, why not? If not now, when?

Self-discovery can be humbling and inspiring.

I have decided to start my reading list with "The Intent To Live" by Acting Coach Larry Moss. I have not read it yet. I did however, find this youtube clip that has inspired me to get my act together creatively speaking. It seems appropriate to start reading Larry Moss and see what I can learn from his wealth of knowledge.

I look forward to opening my mind to this opportunity for creative expansion.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment