Friday, August 31, 2012

Step 2: Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, Raw Food Diet or A Complete Lifestyle Change

As I allow my fitness options to marinate, it does not hurt to look at the other elephant in the room. The truth is that any exercise plan I go with or construct for myself will not be very effective if my eating habits are crappy.

I am not completely oblivious to the notion of healthy eating. I have done my share of juice fasts, explored vegetarianism, veganism, going raw, and eating low glycemic index foods etc. The challenge is I grew up in Philadelphia. This is the home of Tastykakes, Philadelphia brand cream cheese, Philly cheese steaks, hoagies, soft pretzels, stromboli, Philly style pizza, food trucks before they were chic, you name it! I admit I LOVE food.  I love cooking. Without question, pasta has been a comforting friend on many a quiet night at home. What is a diehard foodie to do? Food is one of life's great pleasures. How do I find a reasonable balance?

In an attempt to take my dieting seriously I have considered the Nutrisystem diet , the Weight Watchers Diet, even Jenny Craig but they are geared toward women and frankly, who wants to eat pre-packaged meals? Not me, thank you very much. 

The option of  adopting the Raw Food Diet does have a lot of appeal. The health benefits are clear. I just don't know how realistic it is to never eat any of the delicious cooked foods I love. I think I can incorporate a larger percentage of  raw food into my life but 100%? not a chance!

Yes, time for more marination. Boy, I have a lot of thinking to do.

Both steps are lifestyle changes. I have spent a lot of time dabbling a change. Clearly I have to address at some point my issues with commitment and consistency. If this was to assist someone else, I would be on it in a heartbeat. However, when it comes to myself, I tend to make too many excuses. Hmm. I am learning a lot about myself in this process. I want to remove as many self-imposed obstacles to my own success as I can.

I control  my destiny. I  must do the work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment