Friday, December 7, 2018

“Getting on Track with My Goals for 2018”

This article came from the May 2018 issue. May is my birthday month. This tends to be the month I assess my goals for the year etc.  Suffice to say, this month sucked.

   “Getting on Track with My Goals for 2018”                                                                                                                      by Kevin D’Arcy

I have had a challenging 2018 to say the least. Apparently, since the theme of the year for the Soka Gakkai International is “The Year of Brilliant Achievement” and we are all focused on doing our part toward the campaign for “50,000 Lions of Justice” then obstacles are just gonna be a fact of life. 

Personally, I’m ready for a little “sunshine” in what has been a “rainy” few months, metaphorically speaking.  At the beginning of the year, I sat in my living room with my buddy Rollin and in honor of this year’s theme, determined to have a MAJOR breakthrough in my acting career and book more work than I ever have before.  That was the plan.

You need only look back at prior month’s of this newsletter to see the obstacles that came my way.
When I returned home from my trip to Philadelphia, I have tried to re-engage from where I am and devote myself to succeeding in acting career as a tribute to my mother’s life as she sacrificed much to immigrate to America so her children could live the “American Dream.” 

So this is where I stand. 

Despite my current frustrations and impatience with my practice, I am committed to breaking through to the other side of all this. The truth is, I have not booked a single acting job since I took on my role as Men’s Division leader in my district.  I have been a busy Buddhist since I took on the challenge of leadership. I would be lying if I said I understood what is going on.   

I had a strange experience the other day. I I had an audition for a two episode co-star for the Netflix series “Grace and Frankie.” I chanted to book the job and get on track with my goals. I went in and got a callback for the next day. The morning of my callback at 8:20 in the morning the house phone rang. I laid in bed and I SWEAR I heard my mum call my name in the intonation she always did when leaving a message on my voicemail. I jumped out of bed and ran to my answering machine. There was no message. I decided to look at it as my mum wishing me luck before my big callback. 

I went to Paramount studios and did my very best. I left feeling amazing.  That was Wednesday, April 25th.  This has been the recurring pattern. As I chant for success booking acting work, I increase my emotional attachment to booking and inevitably get depressed when things look good and then nothing.  

I am in all honesty exhausted from all the good causes I have been doing.  Luckily, I am enjoying the “good causes” for their own sake and frankly don’t get the connection between doing “good causes” and receiving tangible benefits. I suppose when I actually experience a breakthrough, all this will make sense. Until then, my Buddhist practice is a very, very long lesson in patience. Clearly I am missing something but I have no clue what that may be.

Life has forced me over these last few months to begin a “new chapter” in my story. I only hope it will soon include the major breakthrough in my acting career I am determined to achieve this year.

Patience. Patience. Patience.   

No comments:

Post a Comment